Sunday, March 13, 2011

Embrace of Friends

They are, I believe, in every room in my house.

The painting in my study, the print in my bedroom, the porcelain sponge holder in the kitchen, the green glass decanter on the windowsill in the dining room.

All from friends.

A single plaster hand lies at the center of my altar. Jane gave it to me to remind me that it took both of us to do the work that was needed at the 1999 Parliament of World Religions in Cape Town.

I have a cloisonn̩ necklace with a brilliant butterfly on a black background. Every time I wear it, I think of Betty Рthe friend who gave it to me.

And a rainbow scarf that inevitably generates compliments --compliments that really belong to Melinda who gave it me – along with her teachings that helped connect me to Spirit.

And funny socks – from Beverly and Jenn --that dependably elicit approving smiles.

Even cat toys given to me by those who know how much I love my cats.

A set of cobalt blue glasses from Rosemary.

The photographs and a nightlight from Shelly.

And so many of my books.

I believe I could go from room to room acknowledging, not just the things but also, more importantly, the people they represent and the wisdom that each of them has shared with me.

I live within the embrace of my friends.

Perhaps we all do.

No comments:

Post a Comment