Friday, April 13, 2012

Different Directions

I have favorite places to walk – in my neighborhood or local parks or on our river walk. I always go unadorned with devices – nothing in my ears but hearing aids, nothing on my eyes but sunglasses. There is always so much to hear and to see.

It’s easy to go the same way every time. But not too smart.

I believe it’s important, every once in a while -- to take favorite walks in the opposite direction. You see different things. You get a different perspective.

I learned this at Loveland’s Sculpture Park.

[Its official name is Benson Sculpture Garden. Google it to get an idea of what it’s about. I’ll need to post some photos another time. There are currently 132 sculptures on display along lovely, meandering paths.]

When I go to the ‘Sculpture Garden’, I tend to start at the center and walk clockwise around either the whole perimeter or portions of the perimeter. The other day, I walked in a counterclockwise direction. It was amazing. I saw things I had failed to see on dozens of prior visits. It almost seemed a different place.

Bingo.

Looking at the same things a different way gives you new perspectives. Whether on familiar walks or about familiar ideas.

I recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment