Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Cyber Schizophrenia

In spite of having a website and a blog and a truly amazing proficiency at email, I remain a cyber Luddite -- which could be diagnosed as cyber schizophrenia.


At the recent Northern Colorado Writers conference, I learned (again) the importance of having a cyber ‘presence’ – and that it was essential to actively utilize many internet avenues in order for Google to recognize you as being ‘important.’


Who made Google the arbiter of importance?


We all did, I guess. Or at least all those under the age of 20 or maybe 30. Which I am not.


I have a Facebook page, which I don’t know how to use. I recently signed up for both Twitter and Linkedin – neither of which I understand.


But I have to.


My memoir, Tree Lines (with an as-yet-to-be-determined subtitle) is being published. It should be out by September. If I am to properly promote my first-ever published book, I must utilize all cyber channels effectively.


There is only one thing for me to do. I must enlist the assistance of some amazingly tolerant person under the age of 20 to teach me how.


And so I will --- because Tree Lines is a terrific book and I think many people should buy it. And because, for Pete’s sake, it is high time I got with it.


Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment