Sunday, February 20, 2011

I am a Princess

Actually, I am not a princess but, at the moment, my bed looks like an illustration for “The Princess and the Pea.”

For months, I have become increasingly aware that my old mattress was sagging. Very aware. And very stiff and sore on waking.

Before doing anything about it, I felt I needed to contact my friend who was with me when I purchased the mattress. When I finally did, I did indeed confirm that the mattress in question was supposed last longer than the average mattress … not shorter.

So I contacted the company, sent the requested the photographs and was told that all would be well if I were to buy a new pad … for $1,000.

Not likely.

So I consulted friends, checked Consumer Reports, and armed with a list of acceptable candidates, went shopping. I compared, I tested, I compared again. I made what I thought was an informed decision, whipped out my VISA card and went home pleased with the thought that within days, I would once again have solid, and comfortable, support.

The truck pulled up this morning. Two men entered my house and extracted the dilapidated item. They brought in the new springs. They brought in the new mattress.

The top of my bed is now four feet off the floor.

The company will exchange it. I’ll have more shallow springs by Friday. I’ll come down a notch or two.

In the meantime, I am a princess. Sweet dreams.

No comments:

Post a Comment