Sunday, January 30, 2011

JANUARY 29, 2011

January 29, 2011
Loveland, Colorado


Along the banks,
logs and stones in shades of pewter
differentiated only by texture.
River water, temporarily free,
cascading over concrete impediment.
Subtle gold in dormant grass and slanted sunlight.
The pleasure of breathing air chilled by melting snow.
It is, I know, mere recess.
Soon enough, the regulation season will resume.
But, sheltered from the returning wind
my cheek blossoms in delicate sunshine,
well pleased.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for the memory of Colorado as I sit listening to the blowing snow in Iowa, waiting for the promised 12 inches. ".....river water, temporarily free.....mere recess." I loved your use of "recess" to describe the break we so often found in Colorado when the sun warmed the earth and us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this......I shall read it again!

    ReplyDelete