Thursday, January 7, 2016

Strange Salvation

They are called by different names in different parts of the country. Some call them gum bands, some call them rubber bands.

I had no idea how invaluable they are.

For several decades I have lived without human companionship. It’s probably not natural – we are a social species – but with cats and friends, books and wine, it’s not all that bad.

Except.

Except that in the interest of protecting me from some unnamed evil, so many things are so incredibly difficult to open.

What do you do when you have a cold and can’t open the medicine? Die? Well no. You just keep working at – swearing at it – until, finally, when you are almost healthy, it opens.

No more.

Recently, a good friend suggested that I wrap recalcitrant lids with a rubber/gum band. Voila! Things open. Even the baby food jars that I now must open to feed my still ailing (but better) cat.

Who knew? But thank heavens.

My cat and I are grateful.

[And I can continue to thrive on my own.]

No comments:

Post a Comment