Thursday, April 28, 2011

Side Benefits

There are side benefits to being sick.

I have the croup but now that the cough and pain are medicated, I am not really suffering. The medicine makes me drowsy so I can’t drive. But I can take an afternoon nap. And do a lot of reading.

I’m contagious so I can’t go to any kind of gathering. But I can stay in touch via email -- (not telephone until my voice recovers).

And my cats are apparently taking turns checking in and cuddling so I have a modicum of affection.

This is my second day of required bed (and couch and chair) rest. I’ll put up with it one more day then, assuming restored health, I’ll venture out into the world again.

But, for now, it’s a nice respite.

Except for the fact that this happens to be the most beautifully perfect spring day ever and I am inside.

Still. I have windows – five of which are open to admit gentle breezes. And all of which afford views of nascent leaves and rainbows of flowers. I can hear the delighted bird song and watch an addled squirrel’s acrobatics among the branches of the tree outside my window.

It’s not so bad.

Health will be better. I wish it for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment