Sunday, March 20, 2011

Celebrate the Soft Season

In 2011, I am struck by the fact that Spring is soft.

Think about it. The ground softens. Incipient leaves soften trees’ profiles and the horizon is muted by hints of green.

In response, as I wander the aisles at the drugstore, I am tempted by plush toys: soft bunnies in various pastel shades and of course baby chicks – pale yellow and fuzzy.

Everything comes in softer hues: coats and clothes and facial expressions.

Our local newspaper noted that March 20 (and/or the spring equinox) is celebrated by many religions: Purim (Jewish), Ostara (Wicca/Pagan Northern Hemisphere), Mabon (Wicca/Pagan Southern Hemisphere), Holi (Hindu), Hola Mohalla (Sikh) and on March 21, Norouz/New Year (Persian/Zoroastrian) and Naw Ruz/New Year (Baha’i).

Evidently it is hard not to celebrate Spring. I’m not going fight it. Today – the 2011 Vernal Equinox -- I am escaping all my responsibilities including my cats and taking three and a half days off to have fun (and thaw out my moods and spirit).

Please, go and do likewise.

No comments:

Post a Comment