Sunday, October 3, 2010

Guacamole

My neighborhood is one of the few remaining that actually has fairly regular block parties (the 'block' includes amiable people within a wide radius). There is always food and, often, entertainment. They tend to be fun. The theme of the most recent get-together was "Fiesta" and each family was to bring a dish large enough to serve ten people.

For various reasons, I was assigned to bring guacamole. I had never made guacamole. When I stayed with one of my sons last summer, he made guacamole for a gathering of his friends. Since it was very good, I called (several times) and left messages asking for instructions. Then I received an email from my other son, who had been 'silent' for quite a while. In my delighted response, I chattered on about a variety of things and, in passing, asked if he had a recipe for guacamole. He responded almost immediately. Then, on the very eve of the event, the younger son called back and shared his list of ingredients and very different methodology.

By that time, I had acquired most of the ingredients. I printed out the recipe and variations, pondered my resources, and proceeded. What resulted was an amalgam. Using the suggestions from both sons (and a few ideas of my own) I created an impressive pale green mound dotted with intriguing chunks of all kinds of things.

One of the block party's organizers is, among other things, a professional chef --an intimidating factor. And I couldn't slip in late. Guacamole needs to begin at the beginning. So. Only a few minutes after the official starting time, I placed my premier guacamole on the table that was just beginning to accumulate elements of the feast.

Immediately, the chef/host approached, welcomed me, noted the guacamole, took a chip and dipped (as did my heart). His verdict? Nice!

Whew!

Later, someone said that you can never go wrong with guacamole. I'm not sure that's true. I think it's possible to screw up even an avocado concoction. But the wide variety of possible ingredients must certainly produce a vast array of quite palatable variations.

Still, I like to think that my first batch was a good batch because I combined the suggestions of my two sons. Bravo! And thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment